Friday, September 12, 2008

Lance Armstrong Going Back For More Tour de France





Believe it or not, Lance Armstrong is coming out of retirement to have another go around at the Tour de France.


He told the Associated Press "I am happy to announce that after talking with my children, my family and my closest friends, I have decided to return to professional cycling in order to raise awareness of the global cancer burden."


I'm all for raising awareness for cancer from almost any platform, but the Tour de France? Hasn't he already been there, done that? Are we supposed to believe that this is the reason he's doing it.....Again? Come on. Really?


If he didn't mind coming in 5th, 6th, 7th or even 8th place, that would be one thing. I might believe the reasoning behind it all but I don't believe that this is the case and I'll tell you why.


Last month, Lance competed in the Leadville Trail 100 in Colorado. It's a race in which they ride mountain bikes on a tough, 100-mile course through the Rockies. Making it the highest altitude race in the country.


Lance didn't come in 1st place and had said previously to doing the race that he had only hoped to come in at least the top 5. He came in second place, following six-time defending champion Dave Wiens, who crossed the finish line with a flat back tire.


I have heard from a few very good sources who also competed in this race, that it was a bit awkward when Wiens beat Lance. Everyone was trying to play the win down, including Wiens, who said, “The guy that I raced today wasn’t the guy who won the Tours, so I don’t put myself in that category. But it was great of him to come out and do this race and to race with all the people. He’s a class act out there. It was fun. We didn’t talk a whole lot because it seemed like it was pretty much business.”

Still all in all, sources said they could tell that it bothered Lance. Being the 'old timer,' ya know? It didn't seem to sit right with his manhood.

And now, less than a month later comes the announcement that he's back in the saddle again. Maybe he was just listening to Aerosmith and that got him all jacked up on spreading the word about cancer via the Tour de France. But I doubt it.

I hate to say it but it looks like his ego got the best of him. GRUNT GRUNT

Photobucket

Digg!

No comments: